Ice Cream Dreams ~ Les Glaces Recipe
- ALREADY SUBSCRIBED?
BECOME A BONJOUR PARIS MEMBER
Gain full access to our collection of over 5,000 articles and bring the City of Light into your life. Just 60 USD per year.
Find out why you should become a member here.
Fill in your credentials below.
Since I moved to Atlanta I’ve been living in furnished apartments while looking for a more permanent place. Needless to say the choice of kitchen utensils is pretty non-existent. In fact, in my current place I don’t even have an oven! I will be moving August 1st into a new place and in between looking for a roommate and working, I’ve been compiling my list of “must-have” kitchen utensils that I will need to “set up house”. I’ve been adding, then subtracting, then adding and lately I’ve been missing my ice cream maker. This week it’s on the “to bring” list but as usual always subject to change. Of course, if you are in Paris or will be visiting soon, you know that you can’t pass up a glace at Berthillon, right? Et, voilà:
Glace aux Fraises – Strawberry Ice Cream
2 pints strawberries (enough to make 2 cups purée)
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tray ice cubes
1/2 cup cold water
1. Put the strawberries in a metal strainer and dip them into very hot water for 3 seconds; remove immediately.
2. Hull the berries and purée in a food processor.
3. Add sugar to purée and stir until the sugar dissolves.
4. Put the cream into a chilled bowl and set it into a larger bowl of the ice and water. Beat with a whisk until it just begins to thicken and cling to the whisk.
5. Fold the cream thoroughly into the purée.
6. Pour the mixture into the container of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve immediately or pack into a chilled mold or freezer container.
If you’re coming to France (or for that matter anywhere) you can reserve your hotel here. To rent a car, Bonjour Paris recommends Auto Europe.