- ALREADY SUBSCRIBED?
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO SUPPORT BONJOUR PARIS
Support us for just $60 a year
Fill in your credentials below.
Creamy Carrot Soup ~ Crème de carottes
(krehm duh kah roht)
Crème de carottes, French creamy carrot soup garnished with apples and thyme.
1.5 lbs. carrots
1 medium onion
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
4 cups water
5 Tablespoons crème fraîche
Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE GARNISH:
1 Apple, thinly sliced
6 Fresh thyme, 3-inch sprigs
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Peel the carrots. Grate the carrots using a food processor or hand grater.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes to soften. Don’t let them color.
- Add the carrots and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the 4 cups of water into the same large pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool about 15 minutes. Then, pour the softened onion and carrot mixture into a food processor and purée.
- Return the purée into the large saucepan and place over low heat. Stir in the crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the soup into 6 bowls, garnish with the apple slices and thyme sprigs.
Debra Fioritto contributes delicious French recipes to Wednesday issues of BonjourParis. Click on her name to read more about her Tour de Forks culinary tours or to collect the many recipes she has shared here.
Do you have news to share with our readers? Please send us your stories & ideas.
NEW: Subscribe for free to our weekly newsletters with subscriber-only stories.
Update your travel books, DVDs & French imports: our current recommendations.
Thank you for using our link to Amazon.com…your purchases support our free site.
Top 100 Readers’ Favorite Amazon.com Items. (Please wait for Amazon.com widget to load)
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *