- ALREADY SUBSCRIBED?
Fill in your credentials below.
Flank Steak with Port Sauce ~ Bavette au Porto
Today l’ardoise at Bistro Chez Débra features bavette (bah vet), a flank steak, one of my favorite cuts known for its rich red color and served frequently in Parisian bistros.
When preparing a bavette cut, I usually marinate the large cut before grilling it whole, then cutting it into thin slices.
I’m sure you’ll agree that Bavette au Porto (bah vet oh port oh) is a good choice for this humble cut of meat.
- 1-1/2 lbs. flank steak
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup port
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped to create 2 tablespoons of shallots
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make the marinade: whisk all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the steak in a glass bowl or plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the steak and place in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Heat outside grill or a George Foreman® Grill. Remove steak from marinade. Do not discard marinade.
- Grill steak to degree of perfection. (Time depends upon which grill you use and how hot it is.)
- While the steak is grilling, place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Cook marinade about 5 minutes or until it is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Whisk in the butter until it is melted.
- Thinly slice the steak, spoon on some of the reduced marinade, garnish with the thyme sprigs and serve.
Debra Fioritto contributes delicious French recipes to Wednesday issues of BonjourParis. Click on her name to read more about her Tour de Forks culinary tours or to collect the many recipes she has shared here.
Would you like to propose a story? Submit an article or story idea.
Subscribe for free and never miss a story. Search our library with 7,200+ stories and 50 original stories published monthly. BonjourParis has been a leading online France travel and French lifestyle site since 1995.
View our Top 100 Bestselling Amazon.com Items. (Wait for Amazon.com widget to load)
Want more? View our recommended France-themed books & items. Most recent listings at last pages.
PARIS SHUTTLE is a leading Paris airport transfer service…book your airport transfers in advance online and save up to 30%.