If you are reading this on Wednesday, November 17th, tomorrow will be the day that “Le Beaujolais nouveau est arrive!” Ok, I know that many find it a bit passé to celebrate the day but I am always up for a little celebration and for the most part actually have actually enjoyed the wine itself. For me the problem always is time – but Beaujolais nouveau lends itself to simple pairings just like this easy, quick recipe for Saucisses Feuilletées. So tomorrow or Friday or Saturday, pickup a bottle or two of Beaujolais nouveau and invite a few friends for some easy quaffing, et voilà:
Saucisses Feuilletées ~ Sausages Wrapped in Puff Pastry
Pronounced: soh sees / fuh yuh tee
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
4-5 thin sausages or kosher hot dogs
1 egg yolk
1. Roll the puff pastry out to lengthen about 1 – 1/2 inches.
2. Beat the egg yolk. Brush over the pastry.
3. Put the 1 and 1/2 hot dogs (if using kosher hot dogs) horizontally in a row about 2″ down from the top edge of the pastry.
4. Fold the pastry over the hot dogs. Press the dough around the hot dogs. Keep a 1″ border along the side. Brush some of the egg yolk on the top and sides of the roll. Cut along the border and cut then cut the log crosswise into 1″ pieces.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. and repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times.
6. Place the sausage rolls on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake about 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Serve hot from the oven. Or they may be cooked in advance and then warmed in a 350F oven for 2-4 minutes.